Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Giving a Face to an author?

Would I ever read another work of V.S Naipaul? Despite all I heard and read about his brashness and irritabilty, I considered his works detached of his personal failings though not absolved of his personal experiences. But now between me and his work sits a man who admits to have tortured his wife. Now the same author has a face which repels me.
Can I leave one aspect of life of this person and appreciate his other? Should I appreciate his works inspite of the fact that as a person I may not hold any respect for him. But who am I to make judgements about some other life which I have not experienced. So, the next time I hold his book in my hands, I would try to forget the author and evaluate just the words my mind comprehends. Though I reckon this will be hard.

2 comments:

Lavanya_Ajesh said...

Hi,

Am no spammer, don't worry! Came across your blog...:) Nice stuff in here..

Its really difficult when it comes to these issues, it might sound ridiculous, but I had my first brush with this issue when I was all of 13. I remember everyone saying Amitabh is great, and then i heard the story of his alleged affair with Rekha, and i remember growing up thinking, this man who could never be a husband, could never be a nice man. How could a man who s not faithful to the one he loves, be sincere to anyone else!

Till date i find it difficult to accept him the best. No matter what the public says. But its difficult, when you see him charm the life out of you. It takes a brick sometimes to bring me back to my ideology. Don't know if it's right or wrong... but sure know i don't repent it.

Shweta said...

@Comfortably Numb- You are right. Its hard to accept people as they are, but I try hard not to be judgemental. Works for me :-)